2019-2020 Adjunct Faculty Handbook

Lesley University History

Lesley University began in 1909 as the Lesley School to train young women to become kindergarten teachers. In 1941, the School was incorporated as Lesley College, a non-profit institution of higher education. The College offered programs leading to the bachelor’s degree, and was granted authority to award the master’s degree in 1953 and the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies in 1976. In 1986, the College received approval from the Massachusetts Board of Regents to award the Ph.D. degree. In 1999, Lesley acquired The Art Institute of Boston. In 2000, Lesley changed its name to Lesley University. In 2004, the University’s Board of Trustees approved the decision to make Lesley College co-educational.

Since its origins, Lesley University has been a leader and innovator in educating students for the professions that serve people. Through its four academic units – the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School of Arts and Social Sciences, the Graduate School of Education, and the Lesley University College of Art and Design – the University offers a wide array of professional training in degree programs in the fields of education, human services, management, environmental studies, and the arts. All four schools share a common commitment to quality, to innovation, and to the integration of theory with practice.